I built my setup in March, planted some seeds in April, and my window was overgrown by mid-May.
The top three segments each have two cherry tomato plants. I should have bought dwarf cherry tomato plants. The grew to over 3 feet tall before I decided they were unfeasible.
Not only did the tomatoes grow too large, but it was occasionally a struggle to keep water flowing up 9 feet to the top. I eventually removed all of the tomatoes, leaving two jalapeno plants, and reconfigured the reservoir.
The smaller setup has been easier to manage. My next setup will use safer plastics (my water lift tube isn't FDA approved, so I'm hesitant to harvest from this one).
- Posted by Mike, 2011-05-30